12.3.12

How Can I Find Joy?


Joys are always on the way to us. They are always traveling to us through the darkness of the night. There is never a night when they are not coming.” —Amy Carmichael

The topic of joy has come up a lot in my alone time with God.

A year ago, when I was in Kenya and Uganda, the Lord said to me my joy would be complete.

Wild Elephants in Uganda


I thought the word was for that specific moment and time, but I am quickly realizing, that the word was for this season that I am in right now.

The Spirit of the Lord lives in me, and He completes everything in me that falls short and is lacking. When times get tough...I fall short in many areas.


One of the Romanian children at kid's camp. She came from very difficult circumstances at home, but look at the joy on her face!
 

One of the coolest things about joy is...it can't be taken from you, because it is found in the deepest, inner parts that no human can touch or see. I was reading this book called Afterburn: The KC Kopaska Story. He was badly burned in an accident, and had to be literally skinned alive for them to remove the dead skin. It was unbearably painful! One day, a chaplain taught him how to use his mind to escape some of the pain...by thinking of his favorite place (something that brings him joy).


This really got me to thinking...Joy is a choice...and it is a powerful choice.
So powerful, that it can make you forget the pain of the external circumstances around you. Even when Jesus was crucified the enemy could not rob Him of His joy.




Hebrews 12:2 Let us fix our eyes on Jesus, the author and perfecter of our faith, who for the joy set before him endured the cross, scorning its shame, and sat down at the right hand of the throne of God.

Well how can you get some of this you ask?

By being thankful. Immediately when we focus on what we are thankful for...joy in the Lord begins to set in. Our focus shifts from the negative things around us, to all of the things we are truly blessed with. 
 


As our focus shifts, then joy is accompanied by peace...peace that all really is well, and that we have a Father whose love for us ever fails.

Luke 12:6-7 Are not five sparrows sold for two pennies? Yet not one of them is forgotten by God. 7 Indeed, the very hairs of your head are all numbered. Don’t be afraid; you are worth more than many sparrows.

Once that peace sets in, then hope follows. Hope that our prayers are being answered and our heart-cries are being heard.



Nehemiah 8:10 Do not grieve, for the joy of the LORD is your strength.





What are you going to choose today?

1 comment:

Ms. Patti said...

I choose JOY! Great blog Melina! Love you! Miss you!
XOXOXOXO